The Blair Family

The Blair Family

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Homemade Bread

So I noticed something about myself last year when I was working. I felt valuable. I was bringing home this tiny little paycheck, but I liked that feeling. We had agreed that I would work until there was no longer a need and even though my job felt grueling, when the time came to give it up it was hard. I liked having a piece of paper that entitled me to more pieces of paper that could help my family aquire things we needed. It took me a while to let go of that and go back to the unapplauded work I had been doing before.
So the point of this little outpouring of my thoughts is to state that I believe in homemade bread. I believe in the valuable commodity of time given in selfless devotion to another. I believe in the validity of motherhood as a virtue. I believe in the beauty of creating and sustaining the life of not just a human body, but a human soul as well. I believe in families that value their children. In husbands and wives that value eachother. I believe in the unseen, unmeasurable,unsung, unselfish acts that create strong families. I believe in fathers who provide for their children and husbands who honer their wives. I believe in wives who trust their husbands and mothers who nurture their children. I believe in some seemingly outdated and quiant ideas saving society.

3 comments:

Ryalin said...

Since we just moved, I'm transitioning into "stay at home mom". The first couple days I was totally depressed. You are right, when you work outside the home we feel more valued. But I have two things that come to mind. A sweet friends husband who said, "love is spoken the loudest by a woman who stays home to take care of her family".
Second, the most important thing we do as women happens within the walls of our homes!
Once we get past what "society" thinks we should do, we find peace. And by the way, your moms rolls will ALWAYS be one of my favorite childhood memories!

Mae said...

Well said. I hope you won't mind me commenting. Like I told you before I love reading your blog for these posts. And I couldn't be more with you on this one. It's so easy to get attached to the almost immediate (monetary) show of your value vs. being home and wondering if what you are working so hard to create will even turn out. but being the one who gets to see my baby's eyes light up when he discovers something for the first time, or being the one who holds another when he falls from his bike, and kiss that bruise. Can't take that away from me! Thank you for believing in the family. Thank you for sharing.

Katie said...

Amanda - I think your one of the true warriors in the fight between good and evil.